Myles Ahead, Advancing Child & Youth Mental Health (“Myles Ahead”) is dedicated to bridging gaps and scaling best practices that will ensure children, youth and their families/caregivers have timely access to appropriate mental health services with the ultimate goal of mitigating child & youth suicide. Our long-term vision is for the integration of mental health services into health care in Canada and includes schools within the framework — such that we have one cohesive, accessible and equitable system to support children, youth and their families.
We will build partnerships to foster change, use an evaluative lens to identify the gaps in the fragmented mental health care system to identify opportunities and mitigate potential risks… we will prioritize our objectives over our brand and work collectively to create an inclusive culture based on compassion and empathy for everyone.
Our brand has been inspired by a young man who lost his life to suicide in honour of his desire to help the world become more empathetic and compassionate towards young people who struggle to maintain mental balance and wellness.
The Myles Ahead multicoloured heart-shaped “M” joined with an “A” logo represents a parent/caregiver and their child, the transition of colours and the journey through the M&A represents progression with an upward/hope-filled destination, and the use of multiple colours symbolizes inclusivity and diversity.
Who we are
After witnessing the endemic nature of the gaps in mental health support services in the community as well as in the schools, Myles Ahead was formed with the belief that we can and should do better. We are dedicated to creating cohesion to bridge the gaps through partnerships to enhance and expand on best practices from the bottom up and across all systems.
Myles Ahead approaches partnerships, initiative development and program implementation with the full system in mind. Continuous improvement as fundamental to ‘how’ we work.
Fundamental to this approach is the refusal to believe that status quo is acceptable or that improvements cannot be made.
Board of Directors
Myles Ahead is fortunate to have a cross-functional team of industry experts directing our activities and providing oversight governance for our initiatives. Our current Board of Directors and Executive team are as follows:
Driven by the rights, voices and experiences of children and youth in partnership with families and experts, our core values and guiding principles include:
- Inclusivity. We seek input from, listen to, and reflect diverse perspectives, with an emphasis on children and youth.
- Respect. Our approach prioritizes respect for the individual, family and the environment within which we work and live.
- Compassion. We believe in the power of compassion, and we take the time to consciously encourage and practice it.
- Impact Efficacy. While we recognize the importance of measurement and verification, we also know that not everything that can be measured is important and that not everything that is important can be measured. For us, impact efficacy means striking the balance of weighing and reporting on what matters and identifying and incorporating improvement opportunities along the way. We want to make sure we know we are making a difference and having an impact.
- Stewardship. We know that thoughtful solutions take time, and we will nurture thoughtful solutions at every step.
- Partnerships. We are here to work collectively with partners that share our objective to implement changes that support child & youth mental health. Together we are better, and we are better together. We know we can not solve our objectives alone. We are focused on promoting best practice initiatives, ensuring evidence-based initiatives are scaled up, and advocating for increased collaboration, knowledge translation, and system integration.